How can we help?
Have you already written your stories? Do you need help with editing, layout and printing?
Not a writer? No problem.
- Our start-to-print Personal History products begin with oral interviews and end with the finished book and video set. We are there to help you every step of the way to ensure your stories won't be forgotten. Read about our Personal History products here, or contact us for advice about your personal history.
Looking for a personal, meaningful gift for someone whose memories matter to you?
- Our Personal History products make a wonderful gift for someone you love who may be hesitant about preserving their own stories. Contact us for a customized Pictures and Stories gift certificate.
For a detailed explanation of our streamlined process, read on...
How It Works
In preparing histories for over 100 clients, we have found ways to streamline the process of completing your history, so that it will be enjoyable and cost-effective for you. In a nutshell, we guide you through seven steps to take your personal history project from start to finish:
- The Plan This is the blueprint for your project.
- The Stories Oral interviews, transcription, and a first draft of your narrative.
- The Pictures Scanning and correcting photos and writing picture captions.
- The Edit Fine-tuning your text to tell your story the way you want it told.
- The Design Now it's time to put your pictures and stories together in a graphic design layout.
- The Finish Final edits, cover design, and high-end archival quality printing.
- The Celebration We've all worked hard—now it's time to enjoy the results!
The Plan. First, we meet with you to discuss your project and come up with a plan that meets your needs and budget. Then, simply follow the steps in your personalized Preparation Guide. This will step you through the process of brainstorming, choosing which stories to tell, and gathering your images. We will of course be on hand to help along the way.
The Stories. The Preparation Guide will prepare us (and you) for the oral and video interviews. We will gain a firm idea of what questions to ask to get the most out of your interview time. We can carry out your interviews either in your home or in our studio (wherever you are the most comfortable) using professional recording equipment. At this time we will also record some video interview segments for the DVD to be included with your book.
The Pictures. Once your have gathered your photos, documents and other memorabilia, we carefully scan them and optimize them for inclusion in the book, correcting color and contrast if needed.
The Edit. We will transcribe your interviews, then do a basic edit to smooth grammar and incomplete sentences while retaining your personal voice and tone. We will provide you with a text copy, to which you can make further edits as you see fit, from routine fact-checking to a complete rewrite if you like. It's up to you.
The Design. We will discuss with you what the book should look like: size, style, and cover design. After the text edits are completed, our graphic designer will layout the book, bringing it to life with your pictures and captions. You will then receive a final draft to proof and approve before anything goes to print.
The Finish. When the final layout is approved, we go to work with the printer to make sure your book looks great. One book and video set is included in the product price, and additional books/videos can be ordered. Your video interview segments are professionally edited and the finished DVD is housed in a special sleeve in your book. You will also receive a hardcover photo archive index book containing a full-resolution photo CD and audio CD of your complete oral interviews.
The Celebration! Completing a personal history is a great accomplishment. You might want to create a special occasion for unveiling your book to your friends and loved ones. Whether you gather the family at home or throw a launch party, you deserve a bit of the spotlight!
Email us now or call 801-906-0609 to start your personal history project!